I have to admit that I've been slightly prideful (but in a happy, good way : ) ) that my child had never been sick her entire first year of life. Well, a week ago she did get her first runny nose. I'll take a runny nose any day over the puking that some other children were having. Natalie had no other symptoms and was a trooper with it, but by the end of the 9 day battle, she was tired of being chased around with the burp cloth and booger sucker and I was tired of having to wipe up snot! So 1) first cold, 2) first facial digger on the sidewalk. Natalie loves being outside and looking at everything. The best way to keep her moving is to occupy her hands with something to hold like a rock or a twig, otherwise she will stop every couple of steps to pick up or touch something. However, she has a terrible habit of not letting go of what she is holding to put her hands down to catch herself when she trips, hence the face plant. The picture is of the fresh wound and it actually did look worse after it scabbed over but it is healing fine of course. Little kids with a scabby nose is just such a sad sight. 3) Natalie fell off a chair in the kitchen (bad mama decision #48) two days ago right on to her mouth. Her lip swelled up very quickly and there was a lot of blood, but after a little cry fest, Natalie was back to normal. Thankfully everything seems okay but her top gums in the front are a little bruised. I guess I'm thankful now that she only has two bottom teeth and one top tooth and that they all survived. : ) The other top middle tooth and the tooth next to the already present top middle tooth seem to be making their debut but who knows how long that could take. Finally, 4) Natalie fell down the last few steps of stairs yesterday but was completely fine. I didn't see it. I just heard some very fast sliding down, so I turned quickly to see what was going on when I heard a thud and saw Natalie laying on her back. She did her little fake "Mama did you see that???" whimper and then was fine. All this to say, that a year of pretty much no bumps and bruises and no illness and then, BOOM!, all at once. Rough days for a little girl. She is a funny clutz sometimes. Dusty and I can't understand why one minute she is walking fine and the next she just falls down. Well, I'm super thankful that Natalie has survived the last two weeks despite some "bumps" in the road and pray that this will have been the worst of it.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Rough Days
I have to admit that I've been slightly prideful (but in a happy, good way : ) ) that my child had never been sick her entire first year of life. Well, a week ago she did get her first runny nose. I'll take a runny nose any day over the puking that some other children were having. Natalie had no other symptoms and was a trooper with it, but by the end of the 9 day battle, she was tired of being chased around with the burp cloth and booger sucker and I was tired of having to wipe up snot! So 1) first cold, 2) first facial digger on the sidewalk. Natalie loves being outside and looking at everything. The best way to keep her moving is to occupy her hands with something to hold like a rock or a twig, otherwise she will stop every couple of steps to pick up or touch something. However, she has a terrible habit of not letting go of what she is holding to put her hands down to catch herself when she trips, hence the face plant. The picture is of the fresh wound and it actually did look worse after it scabbed over but it is healing fine of course. Little kids with a scabby nose is just such a sad sight. 3) Natalie fell off a chair in the kitchen (bad mama decision #48) two days ago right on to her mouth. Her lip swelled up very quickly and there was a lot of blood, but after a little cry fest, Natalie was back to normal. Thankfully everything seems okay but her top gums in the front are a little bruised. I guess I'm thankful now that she only has two bottom teeth and one top tooth and that they all survived. : ) The other top middle tooth and the tooth next to the already present top middle tooth seem to be making their debut but who knows how long that could take. Finally, 4) Natalie fell down the last few steps of stairs yesterday but was completely fine. I didn't see it. I just heard some very fast sliding down, so I turned quickly to see what was going on when I heard a thud and saw Natalie laying on her back. She did her little fake "Mama did you see that???" whimper and then was fine. All this to say, that a year of pretty much no bumps and bruises and no illness and then, BOOM!, all at once. Rough days for a little girl. She is a funny clutz sometimes. Dusty and I can't understand why one minute she is walking fine and the next she just falls down. Well, I'm super thankful that Natalie has survived the last two weeks despite some "bumps" in the road and pray that this will have been the worst of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
we bust out the ducky pack (aka ice pack) more than we can count in a week. Once they get the walking down they move on to jumping off things and running at speeds faster than their heads can catch up... then WHAM the head catches up and the body follows leaving a nice fat lip!
I am glad Natalie has survived and is on her way to being a true toddler!!!
Hope you are feeling well these days!
Natalie, Natalie,
I am so excited that an opportunity has come up to come see you this weekend! Even if it is just a short lunch date in Denver! Be sure to get lots of rest on the drive there, so we can play together in the REI store! LaLa has lots of kisses comin your way! Love you so much!!!!
Post a Comment