Monday, March 15, 2010

This Mama?

This Mama having a tea party one morning in February with the girls.

A common Natalie phrase these days is "This Mama?" as in "Are you talking about you, Mama?" Of course I'm talking about me, how many other mamas does she have? The first time it appeared was when I was telling Natalie about birthdays coming up in March and I told her with exclamation that "Mama has a birthday coming too!" She walked over and pointed to me and said, "This Mama?" Yes, this Mama! I found it very amusing and clever. Thus began 'This Mama?' to which she has extended it to This Papa?, This Natalie?, etc.

Today we had just finished dressing and swaddling her baby and Natalie was holding her little bundle and looking in the mirror very pleased with herself. I told her that she was a good mommy. She repeated that idea a couple of times, still grinning at herself in the mirror, and then the following conversation occurred.

N: This Mama? (pointing to me)

Me: Yep, I'm a Mama. Are you a mama?

N: Yes.

Me: Is this your baby? (Me pointing to Baby Stella in her arms)

N: Yes.
(Pause. Thinking.)
This Mama? (pointing again) This Papa? (pointing at the front door--where Dusty comes through every evening from work)
Papa, boy.

Me: Yes, Papa's a boy.

N: Name: Dusty.

And there you have it. The wheels are a turnin'! : )

This Papa, who's a boy, named Dusty, enjoying a tea party with his daughters.

3 comments:

the mathisons said...

you guys are fun!

Unknown said...

this meaghan?

Sherah said...

I LOVE when you can actually see their little brains working!!! I think it is one of my favorite parts of being a parent! :) Ryland has started to call her friends moms "mom" as well, if her friend calls their mom "mom" then she thinks that's their name, not what I have told her to call them like Mrs. Whitney. It's funny, and she will actually correct me if I say "Whitney" she says "no. it's mom" :)