Both of my girls love to read books. Maggie hasn't always been that way though. She used to care less about sitting down for longer than a minute to look at some pictures. One day (thankfully) things just changed, although we still read mostly short books. Natalie has always loved books. She could spend the entire day reading. I can't wait for her to learn to read to see what kind of books she devours. I look forward to reading book series like Little House on the Prairie and the Chronicles of Narnia with them and listening to them read to me.
Sometimes in the morning or after naps, when the girls wake up before I'm ready to jump back into Life, I have them stay in their room a little longer and read books. Natalie picks a couple of books and gives them to Maggie in her crib. I love to walk in and see them quietly reading books together. I've also been trying to establish "book time" in their room when I need to make a call or when I receive a call to reduce whining/fighting/begging/screaming at my feet while I'm on the phone. However, I have not been consistent in expecting this before I'm on the phone or at the beginning of a call from someone to which I end up trying to talk over the whining/fighting/begging/screaming and herding them into the room--and Maggie thinks it's really great to close the door on her then! : ) All this to say, the girls love to read and they know that I often love FOR them to read. Many moments throughout the day are spent by Dusty and I reading to them or them looking at books on their own.
One morning Natalie informed me, "My children are in my room reading." Great (whatever that means), I thought. Later I went up to put something away and found this:
I love that she made sure they could both see the book. : )
Some of Natalie's favorite books to read are the Knuffle Bunny books (One, Too, and Free).
These next pics are from a morning when I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day. Maggie came in with her book and bear and starting "reading" to the bear. One of the sweetest things I ever saw.
Maggie loves reading The Big Red Barn, Things that Go, What's Up Duck, and the Dog book.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning




1 comment:
So sweet! I love seeing them read to their teddies!
Post a Comment