Natalie loves the Harry Potter series so what better way to celebrate her turning 11 (the same age that Harry begins at Hogwarts) than with a Harry Potter themed party?
The Invitation
We made wands with dowel rods. Dusty cut and sanded each of them and I decorated and painted them.
Decorations
These were all over the house in almost every room.
Moaning Myrtle certainly surprised the first person to lift up the lid!
"Mummy, have you seen my jumper?"
"Yes, dear, it was on the cat."
Floating candles in the Great Hall
This was my favorite. Nearly Headless Nick scared me multiple times while I was making the cake and kept catching someone looking into the window out of the corner of my eye.
We celebrated on Natalie's actual birthday. After school, the girls were greeted here and had to enter at Platform 9 3/4.
The first activity was to get their wand at Olivander's. I wrapped them up because "the wand chooses the wizard!"
Next, the girls were sorted into their houses. I borrowed this fabulously made sorting hat from a friend. I put all the house shields into a box and the girls closed their eyes and drew one out. Natalie drew Slytherin, but insisted on being a Gryfindor, and traded with a friend who likes snakes. : ) Then they punched a whole in the shield and made it into a necklace.
Next was Transfiguration class where we made little trees (paper) turn into mice (corner bookmarks).
After that we headed over to a Potions class where we made slime.
Then we sent the girls down to the playroom for Charms class while we prepared the feast in the Great Hall.
For the Great Hall feast we made food for taco bowls.
We had more potions making where the girls concocted their own Italian Soda.
After dinner, Natalie opened presents from her friends, in which she received Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans and they all when around trying them. I wanted to share a little video I caught of them eating "grass" and "earthworm" but it was taking so long to download.
Natalie's birthday cake was chocolate with vanilla frosting. I made it look like the cake the Hagrid makes Harry in the first movie.
She had a great birthday celebration and got lots of Harry Potter paraphernalia so I'd said she is a pretty happy kid.
At 11, Natalie is smart, sometimes too smart, as she knows how to work the system in her favor (or tries to at least. Good thing Mom and Dad are a step ahead.) For example, we often have the girls pick a number between one and a hundred with the closest one being the winner or sometimes loser, depending on the situation at hand. In this particular case, the TWO closest numbers were the winners to receive the last bagel with the loser having to have toast. I asked each girl to give me a number and Natalie purposefully waited to say hers last (pretending to be trying to decide what to pick), so that after her sisters gave their numbers, she picked a number right in between theirs so that she would be sure to be one of the two winners. The other two don't even know what hit them. Smart and sneaky! Now I sometimes make her give her number first. : ) She loves to read; play board games with us like Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride Europe version; drink Chai; eat Hamburgers, and have the last word. She is a straight A student, on the morning announcement team, a school ambassador, on Student Council, and assistant director for the school musical. While we are still working on some heart and character issues, I know God has great plans for her and I look forward to each new year with her. Happy Birthday, Natalie! Great things are in store for you! We love you so much!

















































No comments:
Post a Comment