Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dusty, the Dashing

Dusty turned 35 last Tuesday, the 26th of January. I successfully surprised him with a weekend away in Buena Vista for him and some of his close guy friends. They went caving, relaxed at the hot springs, ate out, and had an altogether good time. : ) Dusty is such a great husband and father and puts forth 110% around here and I wanted to bless him with some extended time with his friends. I enjoyed seeing him grin from ear to ear as they were loading up to head out.

On the day of his birthday Natalie and I made cupcakes for him.

Maggie supervised.
We all wore our aprons.

And although they didn't end up looking exactly like Martha's, they were delicious. I mean, how could they not be with three sticks of butter and a cup of sour cream? Plus chocolate ganache frosting made with heavy cream, chocolate, and corn syrup?! (It was my frosting that somehow did not end up looking like Martha's. Oh well. We ate them anyway!)
Natalie had to be convinced a couple of times that it was not in fact her birthday. (I guess with a birthday right before Christmas, all of that present opening really went to her head.) In her eyes, every celebration is now for her. She waited as patiently as she could for Dusty to open presents after dinner and she, a pro now, willing offered her unwrapping services.

For his birthday, we gave Dusty Hot Tamales and fire hose pants.
Even half way to 40, you are still as handsome and dashing as ever, Dusty. We love you so much and feel privileged that you are ours. Looking forward to growing old with you...

"Happy birthday, Papa, we love you!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you girls very much!
Glad you had a great birthday Dusty, and ask Ash to make me some of those cupcakes too when I come visit!

LaLa

You with us said...

This is the sweetest post! You are a wonderful wife and it looks like you and the girls really blessed Dusty.

the mathisons said...

what sweet helpers! a beautiful and loving wife/mom! and a Happy Birthday to a great husband/dad!!

thanks for sharing!