Monday, August 9, 2010

Bathroom with a View

We went camping for the first time with the girls this past weekend up by Long Draw and Peterson Lake.  Not many babies get to celebrate their first birthday with a camping trip.  We went with 5 other families from our Life Group (one family missing from the pic).


We had 10 adults and 11 kids, ages 1 to 6, plus one 8 eight year old.  We were prepared to stay two nights but ended up only camping for one night.  The girls had a great time, especially Natalie, but 1.5 days seemed to be plenty for Maggie.  She did great, but even being the able walker that she is, it was hard walking on the uneven, muddy terrain and she would get frustrated from falling down often.  Besides, for some reason I was so cold that first night and constantly worrying about the girls even though they were fine and so I got very little sleep.  It was a fun first try but I was ready to get a full nights sleep in my bed (and I did!  I slept like the dead!)

When we got there, Dusty made this handy dandy potty seat for Natalie to use.
   
And it had a beautiful view looking across a valley!
She used it once with success but for some reason she didn't want to use it anymore after that.  We knew she needed to go potty that evening but she still didn't want to use the outdoor make-shift toilet.  She kept telling Dusty, "I'm going to keep it in my body and wait to use the toilet at home."  I don't think she understood that we were not going home for a while.  Finally with a little bit of coaxing and bribery (a Red Vine), Dusty got her to go in the fully assembled potty seat in the back of the pickup.  We didn't want to have to keep cleaning the potty seat bucket out in the first place but we were just happy that she went.  She did go a few times in the great outdoors later.

Here are some highlights from the trip:

We saw two moose on the drive in
Checking out the stompin' ground
Homemade teeter-totter


Mac hanging out
Enjoying some dinner grub
It's getting chilly, put on your warm hats.

First toasted marshmallow experience

She liked it. : )
More pics to come...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so sad i didn't get to go! loooove the potty! hahahahahah!!

the mathisons said...

Yeah camping!! Such a great experience! We went with our small group this weekend too! I know what you mean about getting cold... i can barely hack it when I get a chill. It gets easier as the kids get older. Maggie will be setting up camp next year :)