Friday, August 10, 2012

Maggie's Three!

Baby Maggie
MMB Photography

One year old Maggie


Two year old Maggie
MMB Photography

Three year old Maggie
Maggie with her baby doll "Sabrina Kate"

I'd like to take a minute to brag on my sweet, spunky three year old.  She has had quite an eventful year of transitions and has handled them with flying colors.  It started in June 2011 at 22 months old when we moved to our new house.  She said hello to a new place and bye bye to her crib at the same time.  She was moved into a big girl toddler bed.  Piece of cake.  In August she turned two and also welcomed a new baby sister to the family whom she has adored since day one.  In October Maggie was potty trained.  This was our third attempt since July I think.  While the other two times failed quite quickly, the third attempt just took and was easier than I could have imagined.  Maggie requested not to wear diapers even at nap and bed times so we went with it and she was 100% diaper-free at 26 months old.  

In January we decided to wean Maggie from sucking her thumb.  We tried the yucky tasting stuff which didn't really work and putting a sock on her hand but then she just tried to suck the other thumb or would pull the sock off.  Finally, we just had a heart to heart about it and taped up both thumbs.  She was really wonderful during the whole process.  I could tell she was really trying and after only about a week, I don't think we even needed the tape although we did use it for about a month.  She liked to be tucked in like a burrito with her arms at her side to help her not suck her thumb.  She tried hard, with a smile, and was victorious in overcoming this habit.  This little warrior wasn't even 2 1/2 yet.  Next she moved from her toddler bed into a twin size bed.  Finally, she pushed through a month long diet of no dairy, no gluten, and no sugar in May 2012 without complaining to clear an infection.  

She has also learned to balance on her scoot bike already and can float on her back in the pool, the youngest kid in her swim class and not yet three even.  She can be a real tough cookie sometimes but when all of these seemingly daunting tasks came up, she did it with grace and ease.  I'm so proud of her and thankful for her persistant nature through these transitions.

Happy Birthday, my beautiful, sweet, caring "little mommy", Maggie Jane.  We love you forever!





1 comment:

the mathisons said...

I loved the cake! I thought it was neat how all the colored surprise was hidden inside! You and Dusty make a wonderful team. And you are a beautiful mom making some beautiful memories for your girls!