Monday, April 20, 2009

What a Week...end!

Have I mentioned how easy our child has been most of her life thus far? That's why when something comes up, I panic for a minute--"I don't know what to do! This has never happened before!"--I guess that's true of any first time parent though. It's just happening later and more slowly to us than a lot of people I know, I guess.

It all started on Wednesday. Natalie woke up super clingy and whiny and cried the whole morning. She cried when she wanted to be picked up, she cried when I picked her up, she cried when I didn't give her what she wanted, she cried when I gave her what she wanted. I was a bit crazed myself.

Most of the day looked like this:

The neediness/crying continued the next day. I was a little weirded out, what was happening to my normally happy kid??? We had decided it was probably those nasty molars. She's getting one on her bottom left along with a few other teeth coming in at the same time. All this time, no fever but the continuous runny nose that she'd had since the Saturday before. The "What do I do?!" moment: I went to the store to get her something for the pain on Thursday. I called Dusty at work to tell him to ask his co-workers if I should get Tylenol or Motrin. Which is better? Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen? I went with the Motrin (Ibuprofen) advice because it lasts longer and it had dosage for children under two. Whew, important mom decision moment past. Thursday night was hard. Natalie and I were up multiple times.

Then came Friday.
This is what she looked like at breakfast, practically about to fall over into her food:

I put her down for her nap and she slept about two hours. When I got her up, we sat in the rocking chair and she slept another two hours on me! I felt so bad for her but I loved the snuggles I reaped from it. I get good snuggles at naps and bedtime but she doesn't normally just sit in my lap and snuggle during the day. I held her and rubbed her back like I did when she was just a tiny baby. It was such a precious moment together. MJB continuously tried to kick her off but Natalie didn't seem to notice. : ) She had her first fever of about 102 degrees.

Natalie slept most of the day. She was totally out of it.


Saturday and Sunday were a little better. Her fever would be down in the morning but climb back up throughout the day. She had moments of "normalcy" but was still pretty clingy and fussy at times. Sadly, we had to sacrifice seeing dear friends in Denver on Sunday. I wrestled a lot in my heart about having to give up something that I really wanted to do. Teachable moment for Mama--Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;

Today we went to the doctor. Diagnosis: teething gone bad in the early part of the week that made her susceptible enough so that she caught a virus that made her sick (hence the high fever). Overall, she is fighting things well. Thankfully all we have is a fever and runny nose. No ear infections or respiratory problems or any other infections.

She is already getting back to her old self slowly (today).


Pray for Natalie's fever to go down, to get good rest, and for those teethy buggers to come in quickly. Thank you, God, for our normally sweet, easy-going girl, and for helping us through uncharted waters.

3 comments:

Sherah said...

We are praying for you!!! It is so hard when your little one is sick! You just want to make them feel better and there is really nothing you can do! I hate that!

Michele said...

I'm glad Natalie is on the mend! What a week for all of you. Please let me know if I can ever help... I'm right down the street you know.

You with us said...

I'm so glad Natalie is feeling better. Those sick pictures are so sad. We missed seeing you, but totally understand. I remember feeling so torn when we lived in Germany when Micah was little and got very sick and we missed a really cool adventure. Ah, the sacrafices of parenthood.