Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Truth be told

So I've been rethinking this whole potty training thing. I told a friend of mine who is a mom of three about Natalie's success on the potty so far and my future aspirations for her and she encouraged me to hold them loosely in my hands so that neither of us became frustrated with it. I've heard from many moms, including her, how easy it is when the child makes the decision to go on their own. Truth be told, I've worried that because she is so young now that Natalie would get bored or resistant to the whole potty idea later when I really wanted it to count. Also, I've always known that because of her young age and petite-ness that I would always have to accompany her to help. Truth be told, there have been so many days already that I have been too tired, unmotivated, or preoccupied to bother taking her when I thought it might count. When I think realistically about it, do I really think I'm going to be better at it when the newborn is here? And finally, truth be told, I'm going to have two young children. Part of our potty training aspirations were to save on cost and number of diapers. But they are young and likely will both be in diapers. That is just the fact of the matter. We will continue to ask Natalie if she wants to sit on the potty (in which she is very good at expressing her wishes with yes or no) and set her there every once in a while. But I'm not going to try to "clock" her potty times and rush her to the bathroom (remember above--there is no rushing these days) and maybe if we're lucky, she'll tell us she wants to start using the potty all the time before she is two like some friends' kids we know.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

ah, from the mouth of a mommy of a firstborn. My Emma, who we started "training" before the age of two, still has "accidents" almost every day when she waits too long and just doesn't feel like taking a potty break and she'll be five in July! We have tried every trick in the book and then some, and this girl is smart as a whip. Another wise mommy told me that they never push potty training, because there are other discipline issues that are far more important and potty success is one of those things that every child eventually gets. My best advice, like your friend suggested, relax so it doesn't become a battle ground, it's not worth the stress.
Sarah

The Robinson Family said...

Thanks, Sarah. I was encouraged by Natalie today because she asked to sit on the potty this morning. I'm glad she hasn't forgotten about it or given up on it since we haven't put her on that much during the last couple weeks of everyone being sick. We are so proud of you already, Natalie, for what you have accomplished on the potty thus far. : )