Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dairy free, gluten free, joy free diet

For two weeks I've been eating the same four meals, lunch and dinner: turkey pasta, turkey burgers, almost pancakes, and Tuscan soup (Dusty ate dinners with me, but I gave him the freedom to eat out for lunch during the week). These were the four meals we tolerated the best and so we stuck with them. I have been super irritable about the "fast" and have desperately been craving a cheeseburger from Five Guys Burgers and Fries (our new yummy burger place in town that is a lot like Dusty's beloved In and Out Burger) and also anything sweet (and fruit certainly doesn't count!) I would like to say that I've handled the fast patiently and graciously but I feel like I just barely survived it. After the two week elimination, Natalie did not clear up 100% like we hoped. She seemed to go up and down with good days and then bad days. A big challenge is keeping her from itching the areas which causes them to get very red.

We saw the doctor yesterday and she said that we can go ahead and start reintroducing foods again. She has been very kind and supportive to this desperate mama. She did remind us that although Natalie is not 100% clear, she has improved a lot since the beginning (the doctor thinks she is about 90% clear). The reintro. plan is to reintroduce one food every other day. We calculated that it will take 42 days to reintroduce everything back in. Hopefully we will see obvious reactions in Natalie when I eat something that bothers her. I would then remove that food from my diet until I was finished nursing of course. We are going to start with the foods that we think are least likely to bother her and save the "bad ones" for the end so that she will hopefully keep clearing up.

Today was day 1 on the reintro., "Potato Day." We were going start yesterday with beef (hamburger patty for lunch, yummy STEAK! for dinner) but Dusty accidentally grilled the ground turkey instead of the beef. Bummer. Oh well. We are saving "Beef Day" for this weekend. So I ate a baked potato for lunch and the next time I nursed Natalie, numerous and large bm's followed shortly after with some yucky stuff in it (I'll refrain from giving you further details). So potatoes might be a problem and now I have to wait to try to reintroduce them again and other night shades (eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers) at the end of my reintro. Strike one on the first day!

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of your prayers.

2 comments:

You with us said...

Ashley, I have been thinking of you during your fast. Blah, your three meal diet sound tedious just reading it.

Do you feel encouraged that maybe it is potatoes? I'll pray that it is very clear to you guys and the dr.

XOXOX

Shane Robinson said...

You must not have had a sweet and yummy colorado sweet peach! You gotta think peaches are better than chocolate, right ?!?

Hang in there Ashley. I'm in Canada right now, but when I get back, I'll try to send you some yummy recipes.