Sunday, October 18, 2009

O Bum

O Bum,


It's her thumb!

How's a Mum,


to change the outcome?


Maggie is an expert at getting her thumb in her mouth.
Remember this picture? She was four days old!

I'm having a parenting dilemma. I swore that I would never let my children suck their fingers because I sucked my index finger for a very long time and I know how hard it is to stop. I would rather my children take a pacifier, because you can remove the pacifier later but you can't remove the thumb. As a former appendage-sucker and now parent, I have no idea how to break Maggie from sucking her thumb at an older age. Nothing worked on me until I had to wear an expander at the roof of my mouth before getting braces. Maggie loves to get her thumb in her mouth and is very good at it. I sometimes have trouble getting her to take the pacifier over her thumb. It is very soothing to her and helpful at night for me not having to get up and give her the pacifier when I'm too tired to get out of bed, but like I said, I don't want her to be a thumb sucker.

If only I could get her to love this...

instead of this...

If any of you have any experiences or advice, I love to hear them!



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Hulls Clan said...

Oh girl...do we have a thumb sucker! I think they either suck or they don't! Ben wanted nothing to do with thumb or paci...Lilly wanted nothing but the thumb...so enjoy her self comforting she can do and you may just have to let it go and get some great thumb sucking pics:) and start saving for braces:)

The Robinson Family said...

Ha ha, thanks Anne! Do you have any thoughts on when or how you might try to break her habit?

Hulls Clan said...

Dr. said they don't really have the ability until they are like 5! But we are convinced that Lilly is a smart girl so we have started trying now...like only allowed to suck at bedtime...things like that:)